Saturday, March 30, 2013

Title Works

When I was writing my story it had the perfect title - Walking in Faith. I had attended a sermon in which the minister said "walk forward in faith and even if it doesn't work out as you planned good things will happen." To me that meant, "Write. If nothing comes of it, at least I wrote." And as the last pages fell into place I realized the characters were walking their own journeys with a lot of faith, not knowing how it would end up but keeping hope and faith that things will work out. At points, that's all they have. I thought the title was perfect... until the feedback came in saying readers thought it was a Christian themed story, which it really isn't. I guess I should have seen it coming, right? I mean the source was a sermon.

So when I submitted the story - after waiting months for the perfect time, I sent it in on impulse late one night - I didn't have a title for it. I came up with something because I wanted to send it off. Her Story was the best I could think of at that time of night. I thought it was appropriate, could apply to Kat or Ella, or even to the baby. But bland, right? Certainly doesn't jump off the shelf at anyone.

When I read over The Contract (that would be my book deal!!!) there was a part that said basically, 'the publisher would confer with me about the title but they would have final say'. I thought I'd be territorial - it's my story after all, I should name it right? But I was actually relieved to hear that those with more experience and industry know-how would be making the decision.

Sooo, a few weeks ago, in preparation for the PRESS RELEASE, we started batting names around. I thought I'd offer some up here, kinda like the bloopers reel at the end of a movie:

In Her Own Time
The Assist
In Due Time
Getting There
Baby Steps
Finding Faith
Long Shot
Winning Record
(some symbol with no verbal pronunciation)
Silver Linings Game Sheet

Okay so some suggestions were better than others. Game Plan appeared early in our brainstorming and was bounced back and forth in emails listing favourite suggestions and somewhere it became THE one. We threw around other suggestions but Game Plan just morphed itself over the story and claimed it.

And I can't think of the story as anything but!

N

1 comment:

  1. I did not see my brilliant suggestion in that list!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha think?

#GoodDay Reviews

Charlie's Story on Wattpad

Game Plan on Wattpad

Nine on Wattpad

My other Distraction