Monday, April 15, 2013

Bringing home the Bacon

So I have a rather good paying day job... It's fun and challenging and rewarding most of the time. And the children don't bite. Often. Well, not daily at least.

But I love to write.

I've decided to dedicate Monday and Friday to writing - working on Game Plan, working on my second story that I'm prepping for submission, writing short stories from images and ideas that don't have a novel home, drafting a character that's been whispering... there's lots to do. I can fill my day easily without getting up from my desk. (Which is good because much of the day there's a cat in my lap and they don't like to be disturbed).

But I'm not making money.

And in the end, it seems, that occupational worth is dictated by money. It's a weird arbitrary scale where full grown boys playing baseball make more than nurses and teachers, but none-the-less a job that doesn't pay anything isn't usually seen as being worth doing.

Even my husband has learned the hard way not to ask, "You're not working tomorrow?" when he tries to confirm my week schedule. Sigh.

So I'm applying for a grant. Again. We'll see how that works out. And in the meantime I'll remind Steve that I am now a writer with a contract. And hope that someday my favourite job will help buy groceries. If not, I'm still happy to sit under my warm cat and enjoy the days poking at my computer.

N

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha think?

#GoodDay Reviews

Charlie's Story on Wattpad

Game Plan on Wattpad

Nine on Wattpad

My other Distraction