Monday, February 23, 2015

Writing Emotions

Deadline time! I was editing today. Between the airport drama and the emergency tooth extraction last week I lost most of my editing time so now I'm feeling the crunch.
One of my pieces of feedback was that my main character did not have enough emotional involvement in the story... she reported the events from a distance that made it difficult for the reader to relate to her and give credit to her feelings. So I've been poking through the manuscript trying to change all the 'I was scared' and 'I felt silly' and 'I was nervous' to physiological reactions and feelings... 




I find it tricky to write authentic emotions without making it melodramatic or repetitive. Such a fine line, don't you think? I use this quite a bit. And I have this posted on the window in front of my desk. 











I love editing, working on the details and fixing sentences one by one, picking one word over the other.


N

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha think?

#GoodDay Reviews

Charlie's Story on Wattpad

Game Plan on Wattpad

Nine on Wattpad

My other Distraction