Monday, June 23, 2014

Our Thirteen Book Challenge!

Today I finished up the Thirteen Book Challenge I did with PJ's and Mrs. Laurie's third grade class. Every Monday I went in to read a picture book to the class, one from each province and territory in Canada in support of Amy's Marathon of Books (she's reading a novel a DAY).

Here's what we found:

British Columbia - Go Away Unicorn by Emily Mullock
Alberta - The Lime Green Secret by Georgia Graham
Saskatchewan - I Know Here by Laurel Croza
Manitoba - This is Not my Hat by Jon Klassen
Ontario - Something from Nothing by Phoebe Gilman
Quebec - The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier
New Brunswick - Penelope's Imagination Runs Wild by AJ Funn
PEI -  Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery, abridged by Barbara Greenwood
Nova Scotia - There were Monkeys in my Kitchen by Sheree Fitch
Newfoundland - Johnny and the Gypsy Moth by Deannie Sullivan-Fraser
Nunavut - Unikkaaqatigiit edited by David Natcher, Mary Ellen Thomas, Neil Christopher
NWT - A Promise is a Promise by Robert Munsch and Michael Arvaarluk Kusugak
Yukon - I am a Fox by Olga Majola

I was very impressed by the kids' ability to sit and listen attentively, then draw from the story to make their own connections to the books. They were bright and thoughtful and humourous and kind in their responses. We all had a great time. At the end they gifted me with their own creation, inspired by our Saskatchewan pick I Know Here.



Here's the cover and the cover page, then my own PJ's contribution that, while starts a bit gloomy, is really sweet and provides quite an intimate view of her perspective.

Thanks so much Amy for leading us on our adventure! It was an excellent way to explore Canadian authors - I found a few new favourites!

If you have a moment, and maybe an extra dime, please consider supporting Amy in her Marathon of Books fundraiser here.

N

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha think?

#GoodDay Reviews

Charlie's Story on Wattpad

Game Plan on Wattpad

Nine on Wattpad

My other Distraction